Translators are required to do at least one practice project before starting to work on projects by paying customers.
What is a practice project ?
A practice projects is a very small website, made of a few pages.
What is the purpose of doing a practice project?
You will learn how to use Translation Assistant, the translation software you’ll use to do all translation work in the system. A practice project will introduce you to the different features and capabilities of the program and allow you to clarify any questions, before committing to a schedule of a live project.
During your work on the practice project, you’re encouraged to ask questions. A virtual client, which is actually a support person is always available to walk you through the system.
How do I get started on a practice project
You need to have a Translator account in ICanLocalize. If you don’t have one, sign up now. Click on ‘New Account’ in ICanLocalize, then go to the bottom of the page and select ‘Translator sign-up form’.
After you log in to your new account, you’ll see a check list for completing your account setup. To work on live projects, you need to complete all this list. However, to start doing a practice project, follow this steps:
- Click on Select languages to translate from and Select languages to translate to to select languages you want to work in. The system will ask you to prove your skills in every language you select. A supporter will then review your application and approve it accordingly. This will be required for working on live project and to do your practice project.
- Go back to My account and click on the link Do basic training. The system will confirm the languages you want to create the project in and immediately create it.
- Click on the button at the top of every page labeled Download Translation Assistant. Save the program and run it.
- When you start Translation Assistant for the first time it will ask you to log in to your account. Use the same email and password you did for signing up to ICanLocalize.
- After logging in, Translation Assistant will download your practice project. Click on the project and Initial revision on the project browser and then click on Edit.
That’s it. You’re now editing the practice project. Check the Help menu and go through the live demo or help file.
I’m done, now what?
After you edit your practice project, you can click on Upload from within Translation Assistant. A support person will review your work. When your practice project is finished you can start doing live projects.